Operation Foundation (OF), led by Peter and Jill Schultz, is a restorative organisation bringing renewal and transformation in the lives of prisoners and their communities in Fiji. Since 2006, they have been engaged in rehabilitation efforts with inmates and ex-inmates in Fiji.
Their ministry continues to expand and they now support local communities in deep poverty with drug and social problems. Many of OF’s ex-prisoners are connected to the community or similar neighbouring communities, and so it’s a natural extension of the OF ministry to prisoners, ex-prisoners and their families and communities.
With COVID-19 restrictions now lifted, the Operation Foundation Team has been able to return to the prisons, running their Step Out Step Free classes and other classes around trauma, grief and restoration. For the past 12 months, OF has been the only prison rehabilitation provider, which has stretched and grown the team in many ways. The OF team has grown to twenty-five to accommodate the demand in the post-covid environment. The Navua Ministry Centre continues to be a place of rehabilitation for prisoners as the learn new skills in farming and bee keeping as well as receiving mentoring. The work across Fiji has also been able to include helping prisoners after their release from prison, to return to their families and villages without shame or rejection.
The establishment of the Nanuku Community Ministry Centre has been continuing with plans drafted in 2022. The centre will serve as a gathering place of positive influence and an example of Godliness to the community. The team that recently travelled from New Vine Lakes were able to assist in laying out the plans on the ground and teaching the Nanuku community how to dig the footings, ready for construction.
In January 2023, Peter and Jill went to Cornerstone Counselling in Chiang Mai, Thailand, which we were privileged to help support financially. The time was profound, insightful, a time of refreshment, and exceeded their expectations. The recent team visit from Lakes was also a wonderful time of encouragement and blessing for Peter and Jill.
Your support of $13,000 will
- Provide personal support for Peter and Jill so they are able to continue the ministry of OF in Fiji.
- Continue supporting the Nanuku Community ministry.
- Prison ministry in Fiji.
- Stepping into a new work in Vanuatu prisons.
Prayer & Praise
- Pray for Peter as he writes and speaks to the Fiji people through the Fiji Times platform. Pray God uses this as an encouragement to bring a spiritual and moral perspective to current events and areas of national importance.
- Pray for the team as they witness Jesus Christ in the prisons through our rehabilitation programs and consider what it is to increase and widen their witness into the community.
- Pray for the OF team families. Many of the team have young families, and we desire to be able to strengthen and encourage both the marriages and the families of the team. We are planning an OF family retreat for mid-October 2023.
- Pray for OF finances as they expand the team and areas of ministry.
- Pray for Peter and Jill and their family. That God would strengthen them as they continue to step out in obedience to all that God is calling them to. That they would have Peace over their family, finances, health and their future.
- Give thanks for the wonderful testimonuies shared below and the many transformed lives due to the work of the OF team.
- Vika was recently in the Restorative Justice class that Peter facilitated in Suva Women’s Prison. It was evident that the content and discussions were hard for Vika however, on the last day, she stood and testified – “I know now why I came to prison. It was to be in this class and hear the things I never wanted to hear.” From Monday to Friday, there was evidence of a struggle, hostility, confrontation and finally, a beautiful embrace of truth and salvation that was evidenced by a new peace in Vika’s face.
- Semi was recently conducting the Trauma Healing class in Lautoka. An inmate who had previously been a Christian and completely backslidden stood and testified of the encounter with Christ that had come from being in the class. “Last night I couldn’t sleep, the Spirit of God was impressing on me a conviction of my sins, and I spent the night in confession.” He then pleaded with Semi to please go and visit his family and share the same teaching with them.
- Ponipate is our new team member in Levuka, an island east of Suva with a small prison of 60 men. Recently Ponipate facilitated the True Identity program and messaged Peter on the second day, ‘What do I do! The 11 men in the class all stood and asked me to pray for them as they wanted to give their lives to Christ.” Peter responded, “Pray for them and begin to disciple them.”
- Tevita is our team member on Taveuni, known as the garden island of Fiji. Tevita messaged that one of the men in a recent StepOut-StepFree class had asked for more. “I need to grow in godliness-please help me”.